Your privacy, security and personal information is our top priority
Protect Yourself Online
The following information can help you protect your information when using our online services. While People's Town & Country Bank maintains a high level of security on our systems, we can't control how customers protect their own information. The following are suggestions to help protect you online.
Online Banking Best Practices
- Do not share your login information with anyone else. If you think your information has been compromised, change your password immediately online and call us at 1-800-815-BANK (2265).
- Choose a hard-to-guess password by using random letters and numbers. Do not use words that can be found in a dictionary or information related to you, such as your name, address, birth date, etc.
- Disable auto-complete or similar features on any computer you use for online banking.
- Do not write down your password or reveal it to anyone.
- Change your password regularly.
- Remember to log out when you are finished banking online or are leaving the computer unattended.
- Avoid using unfamiliar computers to conduct any online banking, as they may be compromised.
- Avoid using regular email to share information about your account with People's Town & Country Bank
- Use account activity alerts.
- Keep your system and applications current with updates from vendor websites. For example, use Windows® update feature and install any critical updates and service packs that are available.
- Use virus and spyware protection software and keep it up-to-date in order to detect new threats.
- Use a software or hardware firewall to protect your computer from network intrusion.
- Make sure that any wireless network to which you connect your computer is secure and requires data encryption.
- Do not download files, install software or open email attachments from unverified or unknown sources.
- Download and install Trusteer Rapport™ Internet browser protection free from People's Town & Country Bank⁕.
- Use a secure browser - Check that your browser is compliant with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) standards by looking for the small padlock at the bottom right of your browser window and a URL that begins with https ("s" for "secure"). This ensures your private information is scrambled to prevent unauthorized access.
- Be wary of phishing emails - These may appear to be from your bank but are really from criminals trying to lure you to a fake website to get your personal information. Never click on embedded links if you are suspicious; instead, contact your bank to verify the authenticity of the email.
- Watch out for fraudulent websites - Always check to see that you have typed the correct website address for your bank before conducting a transaction. Beware of copycat websites that deliberately use a name very similar to that of a real financial institution in an effort to trick you into disclosing personal information.
- Beware of pop-ups - Watch out for sudden pop-up windows asking for personal information or warning of a virus. This is called "scareware" because it frightens people into providing information or downloading malicious software.
- Log off and close your browser - Since browsers cache, or store, information that has been entered or viewed during secure connections, it may be possible to view personal information after you close the session. This is especially important when using a public or shared computer. You reduce this risk by logging off the online banking website (not just clicking the "X" in the top right corner of the browser) and exiting your browser. You may also consider clearing your disk and memory cache (methods vary for how to do this depending on browser type, but usually include adjusting your Internet options).
People's Town & Country Bank will never solicit your personal information by phone, auto-dialer, text message, email or providing links within an email requesting that you update your information. You will not receive any email notification asking you to click a link or visit a website to unlock your account or to provide any private information unless otherwise requested by you through the online banking password self-reset feature. If you receive an email or phone call requesting confidential information from someone claiming to represent People's Town & Country Bank, please do not respond.
Please be aware of these types of phishing scams designed to obtain information from you.
⁕Trusteer’s Rapport software is a product of Trusteer, Inc., made available for free to People's Town & Country Bank customers. By downloading and installing Trusteer’s Rapport you agree with all Trusteer, Inc.’s terms and conditions. People's Town & Country Bank is not associated with Trusteer, Inc. and is not responsible for and does not guarantee the content, services or operation of Trusteer, Inc.’s Rapport. All problems, questions or concerns regarding Trusteer, Inc.’s Rapport should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information provided here is not intended to be legal advice from People's Town & Country Bank.
Windows® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Rapport is a trademark of Trusteer.